New Flyer launches Autonomous Technology Program for buses
St. Cloud, Minnesota, USA – May 6, 2019: (TSX: NFI) New Flyer of America Inc. and New Flyer Industries Canada ULC (collectively “New Flyer”), subsidiaries of NFI Group Inc. (“NFI”), the largest bus manufacturer in North America, today announced the launch of their Autonomous Technology Program. This program includes development and deployment of technology for Advanced Driver- Assistance Systems (“ADAS”) and Automated Vehicles (“AV”), with a guiding principle focused on public safety.
To ensure safe interaction among transit operators, passengers, pedestrians, cyclists, and
interaction of buses, New Flyer will leverage the internet of things (an extension of internet
connectivity to physical devices and everyday objects) to build connectivity in sharing public
roadways. Secondary benefits of New Flyer’s Autonomous Technology Program include operational efficiency, productivity, and energy reduction.
“New Flyer is incredibly proud to make this step toward automation of transit buses,” said Chris Stoddart, President, New Flyer. “Transit agencies across North America have been asking for progressive technology, regulators have shown commitment and support to technology advancement, and passenger confidence has been increasing as they experience autonomous technology firsthand. Now is the time to continue leading our industry with innovative firsts, just as we have for the past nine decades. We look forward to driving our technology roadmap forward over the coming year.”1
The Autonomous Vehicle Technology Program will leverage, collaborate, and align with key public and private organizations, with commitments including:
- Support of and adherence to the Society of Automotive Engineers (“SAE”) J3016 definition and recommended practice for Levels of Driving Automation, ranging from Level 0 where the operator has full control, to Level 5 where automation would drive the vehicle under all conditions. New Flyer will actively participate in development of SAE related recommended practices and standards.
- Support of the U.S. Department of Transportation (“USDOT”) automation principles, including prioritization of safety, employment, and workforce development needs as defined in USDOT’s Preparing for the Future of Transportation: Automated Vehicles 3.0 report.
- Support of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (“NHTSA”) Vision for Safety, which is actively exploring opportunities to advance the lifesaving potential of AV technologies. NHTSA’s Vision for Safety report outlines the safe deployment of ADAS technologies.
- Support to and support from the Federal Transit Administration (“FTA”) Strategic Transit Automation Research (“STAR”) Plan, established as a research and demonstration framework to move the transit industry forward by leveraging core strengths of academia and the public and private sectors for automotive vehicle research, integrated demonstrations, and strategic partnerships. New Flyer will actively seek participation in STAR opportunities to achieve shared AV objectives.
- Active contribution to and support of the American Public Transportation Association (“APTA”) Connected and Automated Vehicle Committee, to pursue and further transit bus automation in a safe, efficient, and economically sound manner.
- Engagement with proven AV technology partners with core expertise in sensor, controller, and artificial intelligence experience. New Flyer will work to ensure integration of AV technology into its products is robust, reliable, and based on ergonomic standards for optimum driver awareness and interaction as needed.
New Flyer has been innovating the North American transit industry since 1930 and has over 50 years of experience in manufacturing zero-emission buses (ZEBs), with more electric buses on the road in America than any other manufacturer. In 2018, New Flyer became the first bus manufacturer in the world to sign on to the Shared Mobility Principles for Livable Cities, joined the Charging Interface Initiative (CharIN) to support industry charging standards for all electric vehicles, became the first licensee outside the Volvo Group to join OppCharge in North America, signed CALSTART’s Global Commercial Drive to Zero to support fast-tracking adoption of clean trucks and buses, and also signed the Transportation Electrification Accord focused on driving an equitable and prosperous future for electrified transportation.
For more information on the Vehicle Innovation Center, visit newflyer.com/VIC.
For more information on SAE J3016™ Levels of Driving Automation, visit www.sae.org.
With over 6,300 team members, operating from 31 facilities across Canada and the United States, NFI is North America’s largest bus manufacturer providing a comprehensive suite of mass transportation solutions under brands: New Flyer® (heavy-duty transit buses), ARBOC® (low-floor cutaway and medium-duty buses), MCI® (motor coaches), and NFI Parts™ (parts, support, and service). NFI buses incorporate the widest range of drive systems available including: clean diesel, natural gas, diesel-electric hybrid, and zero-emission electric (trolley, battery, and fuel cell) on proven bus platforms. It also supports infrastructure development through New Flyer Infrastructure Solutions™, a service dedicated to providing safe and reliable charging and mobility solutions. In total, NFI supports over 74,000 buses and coaches currently in service across North America. For the fiscal year ended December 30, 2018, NFI posted revenues of US $2.5 billion. NFI common shares are traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol NFI. News and information are available at www.nfigroup.com.
About New Flyer
New Flyer is North America's heavy-duty transit bus leader and offers the most advanced product line under the Xcelsior® and Xcelsior CHARGE™ brands. It also offers infrastructure development through New Flyer Infrastructure Solutions™, a service dedicated to providing safe, sustainable, and reliable charging and mobility solutions. New Flyer actively supports over 41,000 heavy-duty transit buses (New Flyer, NABI, and Orion) currently in service, of which 7,300 are powered by electric motors and battery propulsion and 1,600 are zero-emission. Further information is available at www.newflyer.com.
This press release may contain forward-looking statements relating to expected future events and financial and operating results of the NFI that involve risks and uncertainties. Although the forwardlooking statements contained in this press release are based upon what management believes to be reasonable assumptions, investors cannot be assured that actual results will be consistent with these forward-looking statements, and the differences may be material. Actual results may differ materially from management expectations as projected in such forward-looking statements for a variety of reasons, including those risks and uncertainties discussed in the materials filed with the Canadian securities regulatory authorities and available on SEDAR at www.sedar.com. Due to the potential impact of these factors, NFI disclaims any intention or obligation to update or revise any forwardlooking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, unless required by applicable law.
For media inquiries, please contact:
For investor inquiries, please contact: